Homeschool High School - Pros and Cons From a Veteran Homeschool Mom
Whenever we have to make a tough decision, we always write down the pros and cons to help us make an informed decision. Sometimes, seeing things on paper makes the answer even more clear.
From a veteran homeschool Mom, these are my opinions of the pros and cons to homeschooling a high school student:
Pros for High School homeschool:
1. protection from negative peer influences
2. able to pursue early career goals and studies or follow real-life activities in an interest area
3. able to take college classes early
4. flexibility in scheduling - the student can get their work done as quickly or slowly as they choose
5. more time available to spend with family members and extended family members such as grandparents
6. flexibility to learn more independently
Cons for High School homeschool:
1. less availability to be able to attend special activities such as prom or graduation
2. family relationships can become strained because a student can begin to rely more on peers than family members
3. possible conflicts over your ideas of what they should study and their ideas of what they should study and possible lack of motivation on the student's part.
4. less chance of being able to participate in school activities like choir, band, and sports (our school district lets homeschool students take classes there, but not all schools allow that.)
5. lack of guidance from a school guidance counselor about when to take college achievement tests, how to apply to colleges, and career choice advice.
6. added fees and cost for course work such as a microscope or other equipment possibly needed for study that would be provided in a public school.
Each family needs to decide what issues are most important to them. Is an extra curricular activity more important than a possible change in your child's attitude or behavior? Are you willing to give up the guidance of a school counselor so that you can have a more flexible schedule? Only you know your values and what you think your child needs.
Above all, in my opinion, I think prayer should play a huge role in your decision of whether to homeschool your high school age student or not. God has brought you this far. He is not going to leave you on your own to flounder hoping that you make the best decision.